How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

What length in time would i need to transfer my house to my

Customer Question

What length in time would i need to transfer my house to my doughters in joint ownership to exclude it from care home fees to the local authority .
i am 76 and in good health and thinking about the future
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.


If you are deliberately signing over your property to your children to avoid care home fees, then the local authority has the power to force your children to sell the property to pay for your fees.

If you do this more than 2 years before you go into care, it is less likely that the transaction will be challenged, if you do so within 6 months, it will be challenged.

So, if you go into care say 11 years after you sign over the property to your children and there is no intention of doing so simply to avoid care fees, the council is less likely to challenge it.

May I help further?