How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I did speed awareness 2 years ago just got flashed doing 54

This answer was rated:

I did speed awareness 2 years ago just got flashed doing 54 in a 30zone got a letter to say I will be summoned to court
What are my chances? Should I get a solicitor to represent me?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Do you admit that you were speeding please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I was the driver and I did admit to the offence I was caught by a stationary van with a camera inside

Are you asking what sentence you will get?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I need to know if I will be banned from driving as I will stand to loose my job if I do, therefore is it possible with the aid of a solicitor representing me at court I would stand a better chance of not being banned?
I just turned out of a tail back traffic jam due to some road works and I followed cars in front not really paying attention I just drove to follow! Silly I realise

You are at risk of 6 points or a ban of between 7 - 56 days and a fine plus costs.

Its not all that likely that you would be banned though. It is possible but you are the lower end of the sentencing bracket and there is no other particular aggravation that you mention here.

You don't have 6 other points so you are not at risk of a disqualification as a totter.

I imagine you have been driving for more than 2 years so you are not going to be revoked as a new driver.

You cannot use the duty solicitor for a speeding offence I'm afraid.

Representation is always better but you don't get legal aid so it does rack up costs. The cheapest option is a junior barrister under public access which will be far cheaper than a solicitor and the firm you appoint would probably only instruct a barrister anyway.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you