How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Company A purchases the business of B. B has a contract with

This answer was rated:

Company A purchases the business of B. B has a contract with customer C. The contract is for 5 years to provide a telephone service. The contract does not include a right to assign clause. Can Company A act as though in was B and continue with the contract without C's agreement?

No, as there is no right to assign clause and the contract remains between B and C.
C's approval would be required for A to provide the services.

However if the contract between A and B confers a benefit on C, C may sue A but it doesn't give A the right to provide services to A on behalf of B, pursuant to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties Act) 1999 which you may rad about here

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please.

Your answer is most helpful and I take it that A cannot sue for a term of the original contract between B and C.

In the real case I do not wish to continue with A providing the service. The contract with B states that if I cease using the service I must pay a closure fee equal to the earnings B would make for the remainder of the 5 year term.

On the basis of your opinion I can terminate the contract and A cannot sue me for the closure fee?

You can argue that your contract is with B and B should either provide the service or the contract will be terminated as far as you are concerned.

A cannot force its services on you.

Hope this clarifies
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you