How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71057
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Had a plumber gave him £1,850.00 ask him for receipts he has

This answer was rated:

Had a plumber gave him £1,850.00 ask him for receipts he has done a runner, left my house in a mess and also have not given my house keys back what do I do, please help

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What can i do to get my money back for the job they have not done

Do you have an address for him?

Don't give it to me but do you have one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes i do and telephone no

How long ago did he abandon this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A week in a half ago the 10th June

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

10th June a week and a half ago


That is long enough to presume that he doesn't intend returning.

You need to send him a letter recorded delivery making clear that you believe he has abandoned this work and that you want to recover your funds. Give him a specified date to repay and set down that you will sue if he does not and seek costs and interest.

You do face the risk of him returning to work of course but then I'm not sure he would do that in the circumstances.

You can also ask for the return of your house keys and make clear that if he fails to deliver them up you will change the locks and sue him for the cost. You might be get away with that at court but its a perfectly proper claim.

If it comes to it you can sue here

Another alternative which would be preferable really is to threaten to instruct another builder to complete and sue him for the cost. It depends whether you can pay another to finish. If you can that is the proper way to do this but if you cannot then you will have to sue to recover.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you