How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My lawyer missed the stamp duty payment when I purchased a

Customer Question

My lawyer missed the stamp duty payment when I purchased a flat,in july 2011 , I thought I paid because was on my bill,
5 months ago the tax office send me a letter asking payment of the stamp duty.
I went straight away to my lawyer to inform about that.
He told me that must be a mistake from his office and he asking me 1500 pounds to pay the stamp duty ( but I was sure that I have already paid ...)
I gave a cheque to him pay to him self and trusted that he was going to pay it.
The tax office send another letter saying that I didn't pay.
So I have been email my lawyer asking what was going on, and practically he said that he didn't knew why the stamp duty wasn't pay yet.
He not doing very well in his office , in fact he is leaving the company that also a year ago another Solicitar / layers had bought his company.
I'm very suspicious that something is not clear ( he had nearly 200.000 pounds from my family in Italy in his account that I purchase 3 flats) and I didn't know what I had to ay or not...
I'm not very good to check and found out what is really going on , and also I feel that I paid the stamp duty to him twice and he denied.
Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Firstly, you should phone the Tax office that has written to you to see if the Stamp Duty has now been paid.

If it hasn't, you should contact your Solicitors office and-

1. demand the Stamp Duty is paid.

2. Ask for their complaints procedure (all Solicitors must have one) and follow this.

3. Ask to see a further copy of the Completion statement they would have sent you at the time of your Purchase, which should show what monies were aid by you at the time. Also, for completeness sake, ask them to confirm what monies you paid them at the time of your purchase so you can check if you have paid the Stamp Duty twice.

If the Stamp Duty has been paid, still ask for the information at Point 3.

If it turns out you have paid the Stamp Duty twice, ask for a refund.

If you are still not happy with the Solicitor after the above has been done, you need to complain to the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA), who handle complaints of Solicitors. Their phone number is 0370 606 2555.

I hope this assists you.

Kind Regards
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Can I assist you any further?

Kind Regards
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.


Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards