How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Our letting agent has let our property at the wrong rate they

This answer was rated:

Our letting agent has let our property at the wrong rate they made an error it's been let out at 1400 and now is 1000 we have not signed the tenancy a were on holiday and the tenants have already moved in, but thy emailed the tenancy to us but we did not see it in time. Where do we stand it's always been 1400 a month previously and this is a big difference to our income?
Many thanks for your time

If you had instructed your letting agent that the property had to be let out at £1400 PCM than you should insist that they stick to it and it is up to them to get the tenant to agree to the £1400 rate by explaining that they made a mistake or they could get the tenant to pay £1200 with the £200 shortfall being made up by the agent.

Either way, you would insist on getting the £1400 as agreed with the agent.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there some wording I could use when asking them to do this it's a bit sensitive as it's a friends business so we were only charged 5% for their service so I need the 1400 but don't want to seem too pushy?

If they disagree what are our options?

Many thanks
You could approach them as follows

Regrettably, our financial commitments are quite inflexible and we are only able to commit to the monthly rent of £1400 which hopefully the tenants agree to paying or some sort of compromise may be reached between you and the tenant so that we are not left out of pocket and receive the £1400 PCM rent.

You could sue them if they disagree and claim the £400 PCM shortfall from them for the duration of the tenancy, less their letting fee.

Hope this helps, please leave feedback