How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have just bought a trailer from a private seller, and taken

This answer was rated:

I have just bought a trailer from a private seller, and taken it straight to a trailer service centre for the breaks to be serviced as I was going to tow it to ***** service centre refused to work on it as not only is it not roadworthy, but dangerous as the axles and the breaking system and the suspension are likely to fail catastrophically at any moment.
Do I have any redress?

many thanks

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Have they actually used the term unroadworthy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

unroadworthy and dangerous


If this is genuinely a vehicle that is 'unroadworthy' then its sale is a criminal offence and you can complain to the council. However, that is a very high test. There is no legal definition of 'unroadworthy'. Its made up of a general impression of the vehicle. Its worth making a report anyway.

You also may have a claim in misrepresentation if the description of the vehicle was untrue or misleading and you relied on that description during the negotiations.

You do not have Sale of Goods Act rights unfortunately. To that extent the seller is right - this is a case of buyer's beware.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Finally, which council department should I refer this to?


Thank you very much for your help.



Just speak to their general helpline and they will redirect you.

They are often very apathetic about these reports so I wouldn't expect miracles.