How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34905
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If i incurred significant additional expenses whilst caring

This answer was rated:

If i incurred significant additional expenses whilst caring for my dying father over a 2.5 yr period, can I make a claim against the estate for those monies if I can substantiate them .

In addition can I make a claim against the estate for my loss of earnings as a self-employed contractor forced to take care of my father as the local child/carer ?

finally if i incur costs getting a solicitor/barrister to present my position successfully to a court, can I also get those costs back ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am sorry but unless there was an evidenced agreement with your father that you should be paid for your care then no claim cam be made
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi claire,


so even if I was unaware of the situation at the time and my dad was too far gone to make any agreement.

Surely case law exists in this scenario ?

No I am afraid not - the simple fact is that you chose to care for your father rather than arranging for him to be cared for by others.
Unless you and your siblings agreed that you would be recompensed for doing so then it is assumed that you dis so out of love and affection
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you