How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I was seeking help of a plumber because I had water leakage

This answer was rated:

I was seeking help of a plumber because I had water leakage in my house. He came, did nothing and then a lot later called me saying that I had several options - to repair it (maybe) or put a new one. He didn't give any prices. The water continued leaking - so the next day I called a different plumber and he simply switched the shower off.
Now the first guy requires payment for his services (an hour work). I wrote to him that I didn't get any service and cannot accept the bill. He continues demanding immediate payment claiming additionally statutory interest under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (interest) Act 1998. What should I do/

Thank you my name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

On the basis that he has not done any works for you, I would suggest you write to him as follows:
1. Say you deny that any money is owing;
2. Say that no price was ever agreed and you never signed and terms and conditions;
3. Tell him it is a criminal offence to harass someone for money under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970;
4. Say if he continues to chase and harass you, you reserve the right to:
(i) Contact Trading Standards
(ii) Report the matter to the police.

If he continues to chase you then you should go straight to Trading Standards.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Alex J. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you