How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

i have fully comp car insurance with my ex partner as a named

This answer was rated:

i have fully comp car insurance with my ex partner as a named driver. .he was involved in a accident as he hit a parked car whilst being over the limit through drinking.
the other third party is claiming for the car and hire car and all other expenses...
the insurance will pay out for the other person car and expenses,,and i am to understand then my insurance will seek the full amount of me.
am i fully responsible (seeing as the policy is in my name) for the money seeing as i wasnt driving the vehicle at the time?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply. !
Alex Watts : Just so that I am clear, he was a named driver and the insurance paid out? He was driving with your permission please?

he is a named driver on my policy

Alex Watts : Ok, you won't be responsible.
Alex Watts : If the insurers void the policy for being over the limit, he will have to pay personally.
Alex Watts : You have no liability whatsoever

the accident was only last week and when i spoke to the insurers they said they would pay for the damages and then sek the full amount of me

Alex Watts : He was named, that is legal.
Alex Watts : They shouldn't seek it from you, if they void the policy, but from the driver.
Alex Watts : This was not your fault.
Alex Watts : Unless you have him permission to drive drunk.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

i didnt give him permission as i was out someowhere else at the time of accident

Alex Watts : Ok - they should seek recovery from him, not you.

ok many thanks for that.....also i have another question

Alex Watts : Ok

also when i get another car and insure it do i need to tell them about this accident?

Alex Watts : Yes if they have paid out.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else for you?

ok thanks,,,also he is admitting full responsiblitly for the accident so will that speed up the proceess a i just want it over and done with now.

Alex Watts : Yes I would hope so.
Alex Watts : If this answers your question Might I invite you to rate my answer.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say
Alex Watts : If you need further help please click reply.

thats great thankyou you have been very helpful

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
You have relisted this - How else can I help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry i didnt realise ,,,many thanks.