How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a social housing assosiation tenant can they legaly charge

This answer was rated:

I am a social housing assosiation tenant can they legaly charge me a service charge for comunial gardening that is carryed out in the next street? There are no communial areas in my street

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply. !
Alex Watts : Does your tenancy agreement say they can please?

My tenancy agreement just has the amount of weekly rent payable and then a seperate service charge. When i asked what this charge was for they said upkeep of comunial areas in my street and the one behind. There are no comunial areas on the street i live there is only a small area of hedges and a tree on the street behind infrount of some flats. I have been paying a service chage for over a year as they used to cut my frount lawn but this year they have stopped and have said it should of never have been cut and was done in error as it is a private area not communial so i asked what i am paying the service charge for and there response was communial areas which i have no use of

Alex Watts : Have you complained to the council please?

No. Its not a council house its rented from a housing assosiation clwyd alyn. I have asked why i pay the service charge as i dont get any service from them an their reply was it is for comunial areas on my street - which there isnt any and the next street which there is a small hedge area and tree infrount of some flats which i feel sbould be the tenents of the flats responsibility not mine as i do not live in that street. So i was wondering if i can be legaly charged for gardening on a diffrent street which i can not use and has no effect on my property if it is maintained or not

Alex Watts : I see, in that case you should not pay for something which you won't have the been it of.
Alex Watts : benefit of
Alex Watts : You should write to the chief executive and make a formal complaint.
Alex Watts : That office will Investigate and report back to you.
Alex Watts : If you are not satisfied with the reply then you should complain to the ombudman
Alex Watts : They offer F
Alex Watts : They offer a free independent service at
Alex Watts : Can I claiify anything for you?

That is great thank you. Are there any laws with regards ***** *****

Alex Watts : It would be contract law. If you don't use it then you don't need to pay for it.
Alex Watts : If I could invite you to rate my answer before you leave.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you