How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I bought a hotpiont ceramic cooker, within a year the hob frame

Customer Question

I bought a hotpiont ceramic cooker, within a year the hob frame started to rust took me 3 years fitting to get it replaced, within a year the new one started again unfortunately i moved house and was hit by a car, father was terminally ill and i forgot to renew insurance, was advised by indesit to renew was not so sure as perviously they refused to repair as it was cosmetic contacted insurance and they confirmed would not repair..The hob has collapsed with rust and is worry me I am a spinster live on my own and a shamed to say I cant cook don't bake and I am a vegan all I eat is beans...true very true never used the grill or oven. I have said there should be a rubber seal around hob frame. The 7 years is up and indesit never reply to any of my letters or emails..I am unemployed now and to replace this cooker is a hardship for me..the grill and oven are never used..can I take them to court?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to hear about this.

When did you purchase the cooker?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

01/01/07 This problem started within a year of purchase. a engineer came out said it was a coating fault it would be replaced, I never heard a thing again had a 2 year battle with insurance as they said it was cosmetic.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), the cooker must have been fit for purpose, as described and of satisfactory quality.

It is clear that your cooker is not of satisfactory quality from what you have experienced and your claim would be against Currys if you purchased it from them.

However, the bad news is that you are time barred from bringing a court claim against Currys as you bought the cooker more than 6 years ago, so you cannot go to court.

You may read this Parliamentary paper for further information on the 6 years time period:,d.ZGU

Sorry, but I can only advise you truthfully.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should have some rights as I was reporting this fault constantly but they would not do anything about it. I was in a road accident in 2012 suffered a fractured spine,,this is when they got away with it,,so to speak, but the fault was ongoing from purchase

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You may ask the court to grant equitable relief but I am afraid your legal costs will be more than what you would pay for a replacement or new cooker.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just paid you £38 which you answered me with the 7 year consumer law which I informed you I knew about..if I am unsatisfied with your reply as the information you gave me explained I already knew. The C.A.B told me i have a case against the manufacture as the cooker is no longer fit for purpose, I am unhappy with the info yo have given me can I have my £38 back as the C.A.B is for free. JoannLane