How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35068
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Good morning, I have a difficult dilemma and hopefully you

This answer was rated:

Good morning, I have a difficult dilemma and hopefully you can clarify ?
My partner has just been killed in a car accident, at the time we were having a few difficulties and he had moved back into his mothers whilst myself and our daughter have stayed in the home, the question I have is around his mother believing that she is in full control of everything from being next of kin, arranging the funeral, deciding who goes in what car, in control of his bank account etc etc and I feel I have no say or control, my belief is our daughter inherits everything that belonged to him and as she is only 2, I therefore am next of kin, unfortunately we didn't have a will as I'm 23 and he was 29 and didn't think this would happen.......any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Emma
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
You are absolutely correct.
Your daughter is the sole beneficiary of his estate and as her mother that means that you have the right to apply for Letters of Administration and to deal with all the financial part of the estate
technically this also means that you can control the funeral arrangements - although you may feel that in the circumstances it is more appropriate for his mother to deal with it
I suggest that you write a simple letter confirming that as the mother of the sole beneficiary you are the only person entitled to deal with the financial matters and ask for all the paperwork to be sent to you.
You should write to the bak with a copy of your daughters birth certificate and ask that all future paperwork is sent to you as her representative
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you