How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi, Nearly a year ago, a friend of mine agreed to ship

This answer was rated:


Nearly a year ago, a friend of mine agreed to ship abroad on his car some of my stuff (treadmill, garden hose, torch, shaver, screw driver/drill...) against a payment of £500. I paid him in cash and handed over my stuff to him. Since then he virtually disappeared. I tried on numerous occasions to contact him through other friends. He avoided and continues to do so. He refused to speak to me on the phone. What can I do to get my money and my stuff back please ? I have no tangible proof as he was a good friend and my trust for him was just not negotiable.


Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : Do you know where he lives please?

Hi Alex


Yes I do know where he lives. I had his current address when I bought Garden hose from Amazon and shipped it to straight him. The Garden Hose was also meant to be shipped abroad. But nothing arrived.

Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please ?

I do not have the proof, I thought the County Court may reject my claim ?

Alex Watts : Not necessarily.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else?


Alex Watts : If this answers the question might I invite you to rate my answer.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I sent him a letter giving him 14 days to return my stuff + my £500 in cash. The content of my letter is as follows:




Dear Yacine


About a year ago, you agreed to ship on your car to Algeria my Treadmill, Assembled Metal Hose, Electric Shaver, Torch, Screw driver/drill and a couple of other stuff. I’ve paid you £500 in cash. Since then, you disappeared. Nothing arrived in Algeria as we agreed. I’ve tried to speak to you on the phone, but you refused. I’ve asked some friends to speak and reason with you, there was no response from you.


As I am left with no other alternative, I am now compelled, in compliance with the Court procedures, to serve on you this 14 days’ notice in the hope for you to return my stuff and refund my £500 in full. Failure to do so within the next 14 days, after receiving the present notice, I will institute legal proceedings in the County Court.


End quote.


His son rang me on 4/7/14. He asked me to go to his home to collect my stuff and my money. As I was at work, we agreed he'd phone me on Sunday. He didn't ring. I then sent him a text. A min later he rang to tell me to come and collect my stuff but he refund my money the week after, which I refused. I also said to him, if I'd collect my stuff, it has got to be with my money and they have to bear the cost of their transport, otherwise I will proceed with the legal channel. He then became agitated, aggressive, argumentative and he called me stupid. His son is about 14 years old.


He also said, "there is no contract or receipt or any other material proof". This sums up how his father is thinking. He told me: "to be honest my father does not want to speak to you".

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shall I go ahead with the claim to the County Court or shall try to get back my stuff and my money contact with him bearing in mind that his son was aggressive on the phone when he called me ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any feedback please ?

Sorry for the delay I have been on holiday.

Yes you should go ahead with the Court claim and report any aggressive calls to the Police.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Madam


1/ I have today complained to the Police about his son's aggressive phone call. I have got a reference number and an appointment with the Police is under way for a face-to-face meeting to further discuss my complaint.


2/ I may have not fully understood your reply in relation to Court proceedings. Did you mean that I can go ahead with it now regardless of the 14 days waiting time ?


3/ I drafted a text which I thought will be used in my Court claim form. Please let me know if this will be sufficient or if there are any other particulars I need to add to it ? I tried to remain short and straight to the point. Here's the draft and thank you:


"In May 2013, Mr Yacine Hadji (the Defendant) - who was my friend - agreed to ship on his car to Algeria my Treadmill, Assembled Metal Hose, Electric Shaver, Torch, Screw driver/drill, Garden lamps and a couple of other stuff. I have paid him £500 in cash. Since then, he disappeared. Nothing arrived in Algeria as we agreed. I have tried to speak to him on the phone, but he refused. I have asked some friends to speak and reason with him, there was no response from him. On 3 July 2014, I sent a 14 day notice to the Defendant requesting him to return all my stuff to the point where he picked them up in May 2013, and to refund my £500 in full. On Friday 4 July, his son, Noureddine, telephoned me at about 5pm. As I was working on the late shift, we agreed he would phone me again on Sunday 6 July. He did not. At about 6pm, I sent him a text message to the number from which he phoned me on 4 July. He then phoned. First he said I can go to their house to collect my stuff but he will refund my money a week after. I categorically refused this fallacious proposition by making it clear that I will institute legal proceedings should my stuff are not returned to the point from where they were picked up alongside my £500 in full. At this point, the Defendant’ son became agitated and aggressive by calling me and calling such Court claim as “stupid”. He said that there is “no contract or receipt” for the agreement I had with his father who he never honoured it."


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you still on holiday ?