How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

A friend of mine from Vietnam has been granted Leave to Remain

This answer was rated:

A friend of mine from Vietnam has been granted 'Leave to Remain' by the Home Office but his application for further Leave to Remain is still awaited since the HO letter of 9yh June 2011. He is anxious to have his case resolved. He ask his local MP to help but the HO still said 'Wait'.
Can he do anything else to get a definitive answer?
Roger Legg
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.

It is very strange that the home office are still taking so long to process his case.

What he should do is write to the caseworker dealing with his case, the name and address of this caseworker should be stated on the last correspondence from the Home Office. You need state in the letter that your friend has been waiting since June 2011 and has had to cancel several plans which has meant that he is unable to see family etc you also need to state any other inconvenience that has been caused by him not having his passport.

Apart from writing a letter and awaiting for them to take some action there is not much more he can do, the fact is that his only other option would be to withdraw the case, but I would not recommend this.

He is not the only person in this limbo unfortunately, there have been quite a few instances when the home office have been just sitting on cases and not processing them unless there have been several calls from MP's or the applicant themselves pushing them to process it.

The home office does not provide direct telephone numbers for caseworkers , so it would be best to write to the caseworker asking them for an update and also stating that they need to process the case urgently.

I hope this answers your question. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you