How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I purchased a rise & recliner chair from a company called more

This answer was rated:

I purchased a rise & recliner chair from a company called more than mobility on 21st June 2012 for £499.00.
shortly after the warranty expired small clicks and tears started to appear on the arm of the chair, these developed into large tears, which I had repaired locally, after the repairs there were other tears which appeared in the leather in the same arm, which once again I had repaired locally, when tears appeared for the third time, I contacted the mobility company and asked for some one to call and inspect the chair as I felt the leather was defective, the company refused to do this even though I offered to pay for the inspection.
I then asked if I could get a part exchange for the chair, and once again they refused.
The company that supplied the chair were 'More than mobility' but the company that made the chair are 'Drive Medical Ltd'
Are there any legal claims that I can make in thesecircumstances?

Yes, it appears that you may have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) which says that the chair must be of satisfactory quality, fir for purpose and as described.

You have 6 years from the date you bought the chair to make a claim. Your claim would be against the company you bought the chair from, not the manufacturer.

You may report the company to trading standards and file a court claim against them. However, you would need to show that the chair was defective e.g. by getting an experts report.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do I need a solicitor to report the company to trading standards or how do I contact trading standards

You do not need a solicitor, get in touch with your local authority trading standards.

Hope this helps, please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you