How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Public liability. I teach Scuba diving and as such I have to

This answer was rated:

Public liability. I teach Scuba diving and as such I have to have public liability insurance. It is stated that when I give up teaching I have to maintain the public liability for 7 years to cover claims from that time period. My contention is that the insurer at the time of the incident should be responsible not my current insurer

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : It depends on the type of insurance you have.
Alex Watts : PADI recommended Insurance you should keep for a period of years after.
Alex Watts : But if you have Divemaster Insurance it has a sunset clause - this means it covers you for the period you had the cover even when y stop teaching.
Alex Watts : Therefore you should check to see whether it has a sunset clause.
Alex Watts : If it does not you need to keep cover for a period of years.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

That may have opened a can of worms. If get them to include a sunset clause would that only cover the years that include the clause. Or as I have used the same insurer contiguously could I get them to cover the previous years.

Alex Watts : Yes that would only include the period insured with the current insurer.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?

Yes thank you

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you