How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35061
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My ex and I are divorced with a court order stating how proceeds

This answer was rated:

My ex and I are divorced with a court order stating how proceeds of our house sale are to be divided. The house has been on the market for 6 years without an offer. the house has been empty now for 2 years and I have to pay for it's upkeep and monthly bills with no contribution from my ex. We have recently received an offer which is 24% less than the asking price. We have been advised that whilst low it is now realistically all we can expect. Whilst disappointed at the level of the offer both my ex and I reluctantly agreed to the sale so that we could both move on. Knowing what my ex is like I asked for the agreement to accepting the offer to be in writing also the agreement to using a joint lawyer to be in writing, which was done. After agreeing the offer my ex has now written to me saying that unless I agree to an unrelated financial matter which is not covered by the court order then she will not sign the contracts and effectively ruin the sale. Needless to say the unrelated matter is substantially to my cost. What can I do?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What was the date of the court order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Feb/March 2013 was the time of the actual order although the agreement was done a couple of years before.

In that case you should tell her that you intend to make an immediate application to the Court for the Judge to make an Order allowing the judge him/herself to sign all the necessary paperwork - and that you will ask for an Order that they pay the costs
Give her 14 days and then if she is still saying the same make the application
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. It is sort of what I expected but it is comforting to know there is a legal avenue

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well