How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71042
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had a tenancy agreement that has run out, I still live in

This answer was rated:

I had a tenancy agreement that has run out, I still live in the house and pay rent. The landlord has my bond. I need to leave ASAP and the rent is due again on the 1st July. Can I just leave? Can I get my bond back?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

You cannot just leave I'm afraid. You do have to give notice. You are on a periodic tenancy agrement now. Actually you should give two months notice but one month will probably be acceptable.

If you do give one months notice and there are no arrears or damage then you will get your bond back.

If you go without one months notice then the landlord probably will be able to keep the bond to cover that period of notice.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you