How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

If a landlord terminates a company lease on proper grounds

This answer was rated:

If a landlord terminates a company lease on proper grounds while the company is under the protection of a court order is the landlord guilty of either criminal or civil contempt of court?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Green frog investments ltd has just been gazetted(26/6)for liquidation owning £ 1.8m. My personal company, green frog fuel ltd is owed £500k.

While under protection of the court, the landlord terminated the lease and issued a new lease to a neighbour Regroup ltd. They are being obstructive in attempts to show prospective buyers of the assets around and the opinion is that there is collusion with the landlord to retain the assets without payment.

I am looking at a way to take legal action against the landlord for wrongful termination of the lease, possibly in collusion with Regroup and make a claim for damages(£1.8m?).

Thank you.

It appears to be a civil matter, not criminal.

You may file a claim for damages if the lease was wrongfully terminated but you would need to justify your claim and you have a duty to mitigate any losses you are faced with.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the breach of a court order constitute 'contempt of court' and if so, does this transgression lie with the court itself or the Official Receiver to take the action. This is significant because of the costs involved.

This is a civil contempt matter and the matter needs to be raised by the official receiver or one of the parties to the proceedings, not the court.

Hope this clarifies

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you