How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10731
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

a friend started to rent a flat above a shop,which is completely

Customer Question

a friend started to rent a flat above a shop,which is completely separate with it's own entrance and separate gas and electricity meters,about 10 years ago.He signed a tenancy agreement.No further agreements were presented.After 8 years the shop/flat changed hands.No new tenancy agreement was issued.He simply changed who he paid the rent to.
Has this longevity in the property,with only an agreement (presumably Shorthold Tenancy Agreement) at the onset given him any special status i.e. sitting tenent or the like.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that, on the basis it was an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) that your friend signed all those years ago, he hasn't acquired any special status.
Unfortunately, he has very little security. As the fixed term of the AST has expired, the terms of it remain in place until either a new AST or other Agreement is signed, or until either party serves Notice to terminate it.
A Landlord would need to give your friend 2 months Notice, and your friend would just need to give the Landlord 1 month's Notice, such Notices to end on the day before the rent is payable.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were perhaps hoping for, but it sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi Maurice,

Can I be of any more assistance to you?

Kind Regards