How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

Hello, my parish council are obstructing me from viewing public

This answer was rated:

Hello, my parish council are obstructing me from viewing public documents held by them. I understand that their action may amount to a breach of s228 of the Local Government Act 1972. Is it possible to apply to the court for a remedy, and if so, which court please (county court or magistrates court)? Thank you.

Alex Hughes :

My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

Alex Hughes :

What documents do you wish to view?


Hello, I wish to view meeting minutes.

Alex Hughes :

s.228(7) of the Act states that obstruction or refusal to inspection of documents is a summary offence. Therefore, the complaint should be made to a Magistrates Court which deals with summary offences. On conviction the person obstructing or refusing inspection can be fined.

Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.