How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am looking for advice please, My family have been getting

This answer was rated:

I am looking for advice please, My family have been getting harassed for nearly 2 years by another family, to date my car has been vandalised 5 times and my son's 1 time, there has been 3 assaults on members of my family also. On one occasion following covert police cameras finally being installed after the 3rd event of criminal damage the individual of whom we knew all along was doing it was caught and was sent to court and convicted for this offence. On 3 occasions the son has been to court for assault and also the father for assault once and each time they haver been convicted for it. I would like to add that at no point did they ever attend the court cases yet we as the victims did, and also at no point have we ever retaliated or been in trouble ourselves.
The police removed the cameras following the 4th act of vandalism as they stated it would probably not happen again, my response was that they would not do anything with pending court cases and that I did not want them removed, however they still were.
in the last 4 months the son was convicted for the criminal damage and 1 of the assault charges and in the last 12 days the father was convicted of assault and on this Saturday night it began again both my sons and my car were vandalised yet again, the police know it was them as do we as a family, however due to no evidence we are left high and dry yet again and out of pocket. The mother of the family has also been slanderous all over social media sites about my family all of which has been unfounded and she also openly posts how proud she is of her son for vandalising my vehicle, the vandalism has also followed a pattern each time, paint stripper followed by large rockery boulders across the car and in through the windows and then the paint stripper again followed by the boulders again and then on the Saturday just gone back to paint stripper.
Obviously we want to take civil proceedings against this family based on harassment and victimisation, to claim back all our costs of which we have invoices for and the general pain and suffering to my family over the past 2 years. I would like advice on how to do this as an individual due to lack of funds and not being able to have the money that it takes using a solicitor. However I have no idea how to begin this procedure and the details required to have it made to the best possible way to be successful and the probability of it being successful based on the convictions already against the family.
Please I really need help I feel broken now and have lost all avenues and feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall.

Many thanks

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i want to know the course of action i can take civil i believe. I feel that the cars being damaged are part of harassing my family and intimidation i want to try and recover all cost


Do you know which member of the family caused the damage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the son have been convicted in a criminal court for one of the five criminal damages on the cars how ever we can not say that other family members where in volved.

Is he working?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for his parents properly cash in hand i main question is can i take both parents to the civil court under the basis the cars where damaged as part of harassment which has involved all 3 members of the other family I running out of time to get the answer to my question as need to leave will i be able to pick this up later to night

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Jo but i have to leave now as have a*****to Bournemouth hopefully this will allow you some more time to give the answer to the question i have put to you as if you are not 100% sure of what im asking i will be able to respond about 9pm tonight

How old is the person concerned? Is he under 18 or over?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes he is over 18


If he is over 18 then you can only sue him. He is an adult and his parents are not responsible for his actions as he is an autonomous young man.

You do have a claim against him though especially if the criminal matters have been pursued. You can issue here

He may well just settle to avoid being sued.

You should really send him a letter before action though giving him warning of 14 days before you do issue.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We kind of know what you are saying above how ever we believe the parents to be involved i have been assaulted by the boy he was convicted and father has been convicted for assault on my daughter there are about 30 complaints to the police on record about the mother I feel it has been harassment and the damage to the cars is only a small part. Only the day after the last damage was done the mother stopped out my home to see the damage to the cars she has done this on two occasion after the cars have been damaged we also have comments from facebook from her telling her boy well done for doing it when he was caught.

Am i right in think i can accuse the parents of being involved and give my reasons why i feel this is the case and as it is a civil hearing if the judge favours my view over theirs I would win surely,

p.s the son and father tend not to turn up to criminal hearings.


Yes, you are right but its not as simple as making that allegation.

You will have to raise some evidence that the father was involved or the Judge will not favour your view. Its not just a test of making assertions.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you