How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am married to a British citizen for more than 4 years. the

Customer Question

I am married to a British citizen for more than 4 years. the marriage was registered in the Uk in 2009. but we were living outside the UK most of the time. I was using a family visit visa type c to come to the UK from time to another. I have got a Visa spouse/CP on 12/06/2014. I would ask when I can apply for ILR and how can I speed the process?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You cannot speed up the ILR process, the earliet you can get ILR is after 5 years on the spouse visa so 2019 is when you would qualify for ILR assuming you will reside in the UK until then.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I learned that after 2 years I could apply for ILR. would they consider that we are being married since more than 4 years but we were living abroad?

in case I would switch my visa to work visa (when I start working), what would be the procedure? can I do it from the UK and how long time will take?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
No, the rules changed in 2012 and now ILR is only available after 5 years, not 2 years.

Previously, you could have qualified for ILR on the basis of marriage for 4 years and living outside the Uk, not anymore.

Please ask any further questions on a new question and leave feedback for the above answers to your original questions.