How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi I need some info, I have split from my long term partner

This answer was rated:

Hi I need some info, I have split from my long term partner of 8 yrs

I gave her thousands over the yrs! But everything is in her name
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What money have you paid her and what was it used for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I gave her 1200 a month for nearly 7 yrs

It paid mortgage bills etc
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
How much was the monthly mortgage payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The house is worth 145000
Outstanding about 125000

Mortgage was about 700

I don't want her homeless, I just think I am entitled to something back

Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has a daughter, who I treated as my own, I clothed her, put food on the table and looked after her
How old is the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is 14 now, she was 6 when I starting living with them
what funds could your ex raise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know but she has left me and brought another man into our house, so I want a settlement, I worked away from home a lot so it's not as if she can say she was charging me rent
The fact that you paid much more than could be described as rent does give you a financial claim on the property
It does not give you a claim for half of the equity - or anything close - but a lump sum of £5000 is not impossible.
However equally it is unlikely that you would be able to force a sale for the next four years until her child is 18.
You can read more about such claims here
They are neither simple straightforward nor cheap - so the best starting point is to try and negotiate using Family mediation (
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you