How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi, My elderly grandparents are selling their home and have

This answer was rated:


My elderly grandparents are selling their home and have moved into sheltered accomodation due to my grandfathers ill health and dementia. The sale of their house has been halted by solicitors due to my Grandfather (who jointly owns the house) not having the mental capacity to agree to the sale. As a result of this my grandmother is now in the process of applying to the Court of Protection to be appointed as Deputy for Property and Financial Affairs on my grandfathers behalf.

I have just received a letter notifying me of this process taking place and I have noticed on the letter that it also states that the solicitor is also applying to be appointed as a co-trustee of my grandparents property on behalf of my grandfather.

Is this usual practice for the Solicitor dealing with making the application on behalf of my grandparents to be also applying to become a co-trustee?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
It is being done because the house is held in joint names and your grandmother cannot sign both for herself and for your grandfather in the transaction.
This is also why it is restricted to this one specific matter - rather than them being appointed as joint deputies
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you