How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71156
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I believe I am subject of a scam involving a russin dating

This answer was rated:

I believe I am subject of a scam involving a russin dating scam, I have already forwarded money (no fool like an old fool) and wish to report it to the proper authorities . They are unaware at this stage that I know, how do I proceed ?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Are they UK based?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The adress I have been corresponding to is I believe in Russia, I had joined a russsian dating site but received an e mail directly to my inbox, the person (Nina Shimko apparently ) requested monet towards air tickets $450 dollars which I forwarded thursday .... now requesting more and I became suspicious

Yes, that clearly will be a scam.

You can always make a report to the UK police but they are not likey to investigate activity in Russia I'm afraid.

You can make a report to the Russian authorities but you would have to go over there and I don't know whether there are laws to prohibit this in Russia. There are other problems there its fair to say.

Even if this address is in Pensylvannia the police will not investigate there.

Of course, anybody can use a mask to hide their IP address so its anybody's guess where they are based.

If you paid by visa then you might be able to reverse the transaction.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunatly I paid by Money Gram .... who could I contact in Russia to at least alert them to this scammer

There are websites to which you can complain.

Alternatively its just the Russian police.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you