How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Property owned by 2 tenants in common A has 95% and B has 5%

This answer was rated:

Property owned by 2 tenants in common A has 95% and B has 5% if B's debt is more than share would property have to be sold
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please give me a little more information?
If there are any Mortgages/loans registered against the property, these would normally have to be in both A and B's names, as joint legal owners?

I look forward to hearing from you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no mortages or loans against the property (A and B both still living) At the moment AandB are joint tenants

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't really understand your Question, then?

Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If B has a debt and the only money he has is the share in the property and it was not enough would A have to sell to help pay

Hi Graham,


A certainly would not have to sell to clear B's debt.

The only way B could possibly try to get A to sell is if they held the property as Tenants in common and B went to Court requesting an Order for Sale. Depending on the circumstances of the case, the Court may or may not agree that a Sale takes place, but there is no guarantee whatsoever.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you