How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello- I just wanted to ask a question on behalf of someone

Customer Question

Hello- I just wanted to ask a question on behalf of someone I know.
A friend of mine did a proxy marriage in 2012, which was registered in Africa. They made an application to obtain leave in UK based on that. However, as the other party was found to be still married to someone else, the Home office and courts suggested that the marriage was bigamous and that it did not happen. They were charged with conspiracy to obtain leave by deception. My question is: if the person in question would now like to move on with their life and re-marry in UK, will they need to obtain a divorce from Africa, despite the charge made to them about that marriage not happening?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

If the marriage was never valid under the laws of the country in which it took place, then there is no need to obtain a divorce.

There may be a need to obtain an annulment from the local court. you need to check whether such a document is issued in that country.

May I help further?