How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am attending court today for a motor offence of failing to

This answer was rated:

I am attending court today for a motor offence of failing to return the notice of intended prosecution request for information to identify driver when I was asked if I was the driver of a vehicle.

This was due me being very dis-organised with my paper work.

My question if there anything else i can use in my defence ?

Many thanks,

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Is this the only reason you did not return the notice please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. very stupid


Are you listed for the afternoon or the morning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Afternoon leaving at 12
Ok. We should get it done before then.

I presume this was an allegation of speeding originally ? Are you jointly charged with speeding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes sorry should have said that

Sorry for the delay.

You do not have a specific defence obviously. come what may you did not respond.

However, if you attend court and offer a plea to speeding in exchange for the discontinuance of the failing to identify then they probably will accept that. I used to prosecute traffic courts all the time and when that deal is on the table its rare that CPS pursue a failing to identify.

On your specific point above though, there is no defence in this argument. It is mitigation that you were a little disorganised for personal reasons rather than deliberately trying to avoid the penalties though.

Can I clarify anything for you? You can always take some form of device like a mobile phone to get online at court if you need further guidance.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



I will have my mobile with me thank you and I will come back to you.


Many thanks,




No problem.

I will be back online by about 1.30pm.