How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my father owns outright the family home.He until recently lived

This answer was rated:

my father owns outright the family home.He until recently lived with his step-daughter by way of his second marriage (this lady is now deceased) step daughter has lived in house for last 8yrs,rent and bill free,on the basis of looking after him,he is 91yrs old.
Dad had recent stroke and has ended up in care home,with onset of dementia,he requires 24/7 care.Step daughter has recently been referred to adult safeguarding,due to alledged misuse of dads money,and trying to manipulate him in the care home,to hand over bank cards and change the power of attourney to her.the power if attourney,rests with me (son)and is currently at court of protection being registered.We have to sell property to fund dads care,but she is refusing to allow it to be valued,and wont move out of the house claiming squatters rights.I have a key to the premisies and i know when shes out,can i go in change locks and refuse her back in the property.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has she been given written notice to leave?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


That is your starting point.
She should be given at least 28 days written notice (56 would be better)
At the end of that period THEN you can change the locks and pack up her belongings ready for collection.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so i cannot go in when shes not there and change locks etc,i have to give notice?

You have to give her written notice to leave.
After that period has passed - then you can go in and change the locks whilst she is out