How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We are an electrical company we have a gas leak called out

This answer was rated:

We are an electrical company we have a gas leak called out an emergency service but he wanted paper work from our present supplier. We are unable to do this as we have not paid a gas bill for some years. What do we do please?

Do you know who your gas supplier is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No do not know who our supplier is

Thank you.

You first need to find out who your supplier is, there is a procedure stated here saying what needs to be done to find out who your supplier is:

Once you know who your supplier is, you should get in touch with them and explain that you have not been billed and ask them to send you a bill, they will be able to make an account in your name and bill you, giving you the paperwork required.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We called the number and they say we are not on the National grid. Where does that leave us?

You should contact National Grid in that case and see if they are able to assist.

Legally, there is not much that can be done at the moment.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you know where we stand in respects of the usage of gas in the last few years. As the gas has been supplied to the premises and as per the telephone call we discover we are not on the National Grid, but still have access to gas. Where do stand legally on that?

You would be liable to pay for the gas consumed for the years you have not been billed. There is a back billing code which says suppliers are only allowed to back bill for 12 months but that applies where customers made attempts to contact the supplier and as far as I am aware, it only applies to domestic users.

You say you are a company, so a business user.

The main challenge for you is to get connected to the National Grid, know who is supplying your gas and take it from there to get your account up to date.

All the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.