How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Some years ago my wife and I changed our status in respect

This answer was rated:

Some years ago my wife and I changed our status in respect of our house from 'joint tenants' to 'tenants in common'. This was for Inheritance Tax purposes. Given changed circumstances, eg new tax thresholds, we wish to revert to a joint tenancy basis. Would you advise the steps to be taken and whether we, as private individuals, can undertake the work ourselves? Many thanks. Philip Gibbins

You will need to enter into a new Trust Deed with your wife setting out the intention that the property should now be held as a joint tenancy and not a tenancy in common.

You need to check your title to see if it contains a Form A restriction registered against ot at the Land Registry. If yes, then you need to apply on form RX3 to lift this restriction. The form RX3 must be signed by you and your wife and sent to the Land Registry with a certified copy of the Trust Deed mentioend above.

Whilst you may do it yourselves, I would suggest that you use a solicitor as the Trust Deed needs to be drafted in a proper way and include various matters such as ownership, beneficial ownership, mortgage etc.

Hope this helps

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you