How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Nikah urfi marriage

This answer was rated:

My partner would like me to undertake a Nikah 'urfi marriage contract in Jordan. I understand this ceremony is a purely religious one i.e. it will not be registered with the Jordanian authorities and will have no legal status in Jordan, but will have permanent status. Will this ceremony have any legal implications in the UK vis-s-vis my UK property, finances and marital status? If the ceremony is conducted in the UK, would the same legal implications apply? Would I have to seek 'Khula' to terminate the contract or would this not be necessary if my UK legal status is unaffected? 


If the nikah is not valid under Jordanian law, it will not be valid or recognised in the UK and it will have no UK implications for you as far as your marital status, assets etc are concerned.

Even if conducted in the UK, the nikah on its own would not be recognised as a valid marriage unless you got married in say a marriage registry.

No Khula required as the nikah has no legal implications.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for this. Very clear and concise.

If conducted in UK, would the contract be seen as a common law arrangement and be subject to any other laws?

There is no such thing as common law marriage in the UK. It is a mis belief.

If she depends on you financially in the UK and you were to pass away without making provision for her in your Will, she may go to court to seek an order to be given reasonable provision from your estate, under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.

Hope this clarifies. Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you