How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71051
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi i gave some money to a friend 6 years ago as he couldnt

This answer was rated:

Hi i gave some money to a friend 6 years ago as he couldn't get credit he as been paying thru the years and then stopped i wrote up an agreement which he signed that he would pay me but now he is avoiding me he owes me £6000 what can i do as i really need this money back
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Did you agree a repayment plan please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes £200 per month which he agreed in the contract i wrote up

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he borrowed £15,000 and we agreed that he would pay £200 per month until paid off he owes me £6000

How long ago did he stop paying please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He stopped paying 8 months ago

How was payment being made? By a recorded means or by cash in hand?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Recorded means direct debit

The short answer is that there is no way of doing this quickly. If this person just plain refuses to pay then your options are sue or write the money off as a bad debt.
If you intend to sue then it will be cheap enough. You are talking about a small claims court sum so its not expensive to sue. It is one thing to get a judgment and another thing to get the money of course but if you don't sue then you have no chance at all unless this person starts to pay.
You are still in time to sue and you can prove that payments have been made so there will be no difficulty showing a contact existed.
You can issue here
but you should really send them a letter before action giving them 14 days to begin payment before you do so.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you