How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

what is the current time on a property to allow users

This answer was rated:

what is the current time period on a property to allow users rights
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please give me a little more information? What are the circumstances?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been living at my current address for eight and a half years, and have been storing stuff for my work as a self employed builder, and the council now say I am in breach of planning consent as it is a residential property

Hi Ian,

Have the Council served any formal Notice on you and if so, what are they accusing you of doing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No formal notice, just suspected change of use to builders yard


For any material change of use, you must have been operating the "unlawful use" for a period of at least ten years before it becomes "lawful".

I'm afraid, therefore, that you fall short of this period, and the Council will be entitled to serve you with an Enforcement Notice, requesting that you stop this use.

I am sorry this isn't the answer you were looking for, but hope I have assisted.

Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you