How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi. Ive been corresponing,

Customer Question

Hi. I've been corresponing, and now met a University lecturer in Moldova. I want to progress the relationship and even marry. But... Her passport is Moldova and her daughter !! yrs is Romanian. I want to invite her here for a holiday and if all goes well ask her to move here with her daughter. I am uk born, with uk passport and can support her and her daughter. What advice ? Regards ***** *****

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Robin,
Have you met her in person?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

UKsolicitorJA only. yes. i went to Moldova last week

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

She may apply for a visit visa to visit you in the UK, see here how she may do so:

This visa will allow her to visit the UK for up to 6 months holiday. She will also need to apply for a visa for her daughter and she will need to prove that she will return back home after the holiday e.g. show family ties back home, property, employment etc.

You will need to write a letter of invitation for her and show evidence of your UK nationality, bank statements for at least 6 months as you will be sponsoring her visit, proof of accomodation, utility bill etc.

May I help further?

May I help further?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

I know that she will need visa to visit. BUT

Are you sure that her daughter ( romanian passport ) will need visa ?

So far you havnt really told me anything that I dont know.

What I really need to know is what british government will want me to show if i ask her to marry me and she says yes.

What if we want to get married whilst she is here on a visitor visa ?

I think that once married she can work in UK ?

What exactly do they want to know.

How long we have been talking ?

when we met

How much I earn

Can i support her

Have you worked on immigration before ?

what is your experience of uk immigration officials.



Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Hello Robin,
Correction, her daughter will not need any UK visa if she holds a Romanian passport. I thought she also held a Moldovan passport.
You cannot marry her in the UK on a visit visa. If you want to marry her in the UK,, she will need to apply for a fiancée visa which will enable her to marry you in the UK. Once married, she will need to apply for further leave to remain in the UK as your spouse, that visa status will allow her to work here. She cannot work on the fiancée visa until you marry her and she receives further leave to remain as your spouse.
The requirements for a fiancée visa are explained here
As long as all the requirements are met, the visa should be granted.
May I help further?