How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

two weeks ago my neighbours who are tenants made a false accusation

This answer was rated:

two weeks ago my neighbours who are tenants made a false accusation to the police that I had been aggressive during a conversation. I and my partner are 60+ and have never been accused of such a thing, indeed she has been extremely aggressive with myself in the past. Since moving in their car has been parked on our drive thus we could not get to our house, electricity has been interfered with, oil has been taken from our tank, fence panels (ours) have been removed, stone has been stolen from our land, our panels have been painted, walls have been erected over our boundary,an outlet pipe has been erected over our roof and he has been conducting some sort of car parts business thus resulting in damage to our drive and people visiting at all times of day and night. Since the police visit to us this latter problem this seems to have reduced radically. The latest problem is they have acquired chickens and there is a cockerel virtually outside our bedroom windows that crows all day, but particularly in the early hours! We both have medical problems and the stress of their behaviour I fear is taking its effect.I dont know what to do?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We would like to know what action to take against them.I feel very aggrieved re the malicious allegation of aggressive conduct especially as I'd try to handle the matter of the noisy cockerel politely by requesting if he would mind removing it from outside the bedroom window to which he told me to 'bring it on'? I was equally polite with her. The owner of the property is also unpleasant & unapproachable.We do have some legal cover re matters concerning building over our boundary etc, but there is some doubt as to whether we are covered. Do you think we would be able to move house. We are two women,it's a rural area & we feel vulnerable. We have lived here for 16 years & have suffered bullying from the landlord previously. I now have quite severe hypertension & although I love my little cottage & some good memories do not want to stay just to prove a point etc

What action did the police take upon their allegation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The police visited myself & partner & asked that we did not engage in conversation with them.Apparently she had been in floods of tears? However she was the one who had been aggressive & was certainly not upset when I was with her. My fear is that she will make other things up. She appears to be able to manipulate issues to her advantage. I feel so vulnerable

So what action did they take against you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

None. My main concern in regard to this matter is that I have to walk past them to get to my vehicle & I cannot tell if they are there before hand. I am frightened that she will maliciously concoct another false allegation. I have never had any involvement with the police before neither has my partner. Also of equal concern is can we sell our property with these matters having arisen? They are in there late 20s -30s & may be neighbours for some years yet & we want a peaceful retirement

Yes, there is a risk that they could. Vexatious accusers do not usually get better. There isn't a way of preventing that at this stage.
If they have made reports about you and they are still there when you sell then you will have to disclose that to buyers but the longer the gap the less likely anybody would be interested.
The plain fact here is that the police didn't act upon her allegation beyond actually speaking to you. You werent arrested and remanded thankfully. Therefore it doesn't justify a perverting prosecution or a wasting police time fine.
You could always sue her in defamation. That is a very expensive action though.
I would normally suggest considering a harassment suit but if there is only one allegation there is no basis for it. If her conduct continues then that might change and that would be much more economical.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Incidentally we had a man doing some fencing here for us at the time who has volunteered that he heard no raised voices etc that she claims. He says he would be happy to be a witness on my behalf, although he did not physically see the incident.

As it appears to be a personal vendetta do you think that we may be better served to rent the property out for a period?

It depends really.
If she carries on doing this then she will end up receiving a wasting police time fine and usually that does bring it to an end.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you