How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hello iv had an islamic nikaah done to my husband/partner

Customer Question

hello iv had an islamic nikaah done to my husband/partner this was done in the uk over 11 years ago Despite many requests he refused a civil marriage which would have given me legal rights Our marriage has now broken down We have 3 daughters youngest is 6 The house we currently live in was bought by my husband a week before we had the nikaah for the sole purpose of us living there as a couple I have paid all the bills and have had a few improvements done to the house such as double glazing and a new bath suite etc Previously after a legal dispute with his ex wife my husband had declared in a legal court that the house was bought with the intention of us living there as she was claiming a share She did not receive anything and my partner had acknowledged my contribution to the house I have a written statement signed by him to that respect Is this enough for me to be able to claim a share in the property? Our daughters will be living with me Can i ask for half of the property or any share at all?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets does he have?