How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I have a pension that I joined in 1966 and finished in 2000

This answer was rated:

I have a pension that I joined in 1966 and finished in 2000 the company, not that I worked for but that held my pension went into administration the and the pension scheme was administered by trustees. I have now reached retirement age and the company working on behalf of the trustees have offered me less than a third of what I am entitled to. not nearly enough to live on what do I do ?
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.

OK What do you want to know

Alex Hughes : Have you complained to anyone about this?

No not yet it came as a bit of a shock, after I calmed down I was looking at my options. I have sent the details to an IFA that I have used before but I have had not reply yet

Alex Hughes : I would advise against an IFA. Even though they can investigate your complaint the likelihood is that they would charge a fee which could be quite expensive depending on the amount of work involved. Your best option is to go directly to the Pensions Ombudsman Service and they will investigate this matter free of charge. Before bringing a complaint to the Pensions Ombudsman, you should raise your complaint with the respondents. If the complaint relates to a personal pension, or is against an employer or administrator of an occupational pension scheme, you should raise the matter in writing with them. If the respondents and you are unable to resolve matters, the Ombudsman may be able to consider it. I'm attaching a link to the ombudsman's website for your information:

Thank you I have already downloaded the form from the Pensions Ombudsman. I had intended to write to the company representing the pensions trustees. You have confirmed my course of action thank you

Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Many thanks for waiting my answer. I note that you have drafted a letter to the pension provider. If you like me to have a look at this then please do let me know.