How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi My company has been issued with a default judgement and

This answer was rated:

My company has been issued with a default judgement and the claiments law firm have made a mistake in the amount of statutory compensation they have claimed. We have pointed this out to them and they have written to the court saying they will except a reduced amount. Can they do this? or can we have the judgment set a side?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
They can do that but obviously you take the risk that they will not try to enforce the remainder.
It would be better, if you accept the judgment otherwise, to ask the court to redetermine the amount.
If you do not accept the judgment then you can apply for it to be set aside. I don't know why they got judgment in default? If its that you didn't get a summons then that is a ground to set aside judgment.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


They got a default judgment as our reply and counter claim arrived late

Those are not the best grounds then to set aside judgment I'm afraid.
Unless you acted in time but the post was just delayed?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you