How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

The YMCA has bought a house in my street for ex offenders,

This answer was rated:

The YMCA has bought a house in my street for ex offenders, they have not notified me of this, what rights do I have to prevent this as a home owner?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : How many will it house please?
Customer: It will house 5 ex offenders, between the ages of 16 and 25
Alex Watts : Have the YMCA got a HMO licence do you know?
Customer: No I don't know, I just know we were not notified. I own my house and live alone.
Alex Watts : They will need to apply for a House of Multiple Occupation licence.
Alex Watts : Do you have a right to prevent this - no
Alex Watts : If they are simply letting the property out it rooms out then they simply need a HMO licence.
Alex Watts : They may not need planning permission
Alex Watts : As such you do not need to be consulted and you can't stop it.
Alex Watts : However the HMO licence and council will require them to stick to certain conditions.
Alex Watts : If there is anti social behaviour then the police can use a premises closure order to close it down
Alex Watts : But speak with the council and YMCA.
Alex Watts : You have no right to have it closed down as such,but your views may be taken into account
Alex Watts : Dont forget your local a councillor they are elected by you and should represent you.
Alex Watts : Speak with them and they can put pressure on the council
Alex Watts : I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: Ok thank you for that, there is a meeting tomorrow night with the YMCA, council and councillor.
Alex Watts : Yes good luck.
Alex Watts : If this answers the question might I invite you to rate my answer.
Alex Watts : If the system won't let you please do say.
Alex Watts : If you need more help please click reply.
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you