How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi. We started a buisness and have had a ongoing harrashment

This answer was rated:

Hi. We started a buisness and have had a ongoing harrashment from a previous employer. We have been telling the police everything and writing statements but they will not do anything as he is lying to them. We had a case open last year and they arrested him and warned him. He stopped for 6 months and has started harrashing us again and the police are treating it as 2 seperate events and said there is no hard evidence. This is distroying our life how can we get him to leave us alone and stop harrashing us?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What is he doing exactly please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The last police case was closed but it lasted from October to December and he was leaving threatening voice mails, coming round our house and driving in our close, writing bad reviews about our company on the Internet and withheld calls to our home and mobile. This got closed after he got arrested because he claimed he thought we were doing silent calls, which was a lie. He also said to the police that he would stop but then it started 2 weeks ago. He has turned up on three occasions to our current work site trying to intimidate us and our workers and the last time he actually tried to destroy our work when nobody was there, however one employee noticed his van and actually saw him do it. This has changed our lives again, me and my partner feel anxious, depressed and to be honest so low that life doesn't seem worth living. The police say we have no hard evidence and he is again making claims that are false, of which the police seem to believe. Please help us, we really need some help to actually make him stop doing this, as I don't think we can take anymore.

It stopped until recently when he

It is very difficult. Its not that the police will believe that you are the harasser. Their view will be that it is six of one and half a dozen of the other. Otherwise they would never have arrested him originally.
That said, it is unlikely they would encourage cps to charge him in those circumstances. Cps do have charging power now but they do depend very much upon police recommendations.
You can always complain about the officers but I really wouldn't suggest that. If you do that then he will gain their sympathy and you will probably be arrested on his allegations. It would be nice if we didn't live in a world where the police did that but we have to deal with practicalities.
The other option open to you is to sue him at the county court for harassment. There is cost in that but it can be reclaimed from him. That might achieve the end that you desire.
You ca always get a solicitor to write to him warning him of the laws of harassment.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So is there anyway we can get a restraining order so he has to leave us alone. We just want him to leave us alone so we can get on with our life.

Yes, you can sue and seek and injunction at the civil courts
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you