How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi,If my wifes in UK on spouse settlement visa and has

This answer was rated:

Hi Alex Watts, If my wife's in UK on spouse settlement visa and has funds in her name but I'm out of work, can I apply for housing benefit in my name (I'm a British citizen)? Would it affect her visa application now or in future? Thanks.


Yes, as a British Citizen, you may claim housing benefit in your name. It will not affect her immigration status now or in the future.

See page 13 of this internal Home Office guidance for confirmation of my answer:

Hope this helps

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you