How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71154
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a victim of identity theft/fraud and harrassment, which

This answer was rated:

I am a victim of identity theft/fraud and harrassment, which is currently being 'dealt' with by the police.
The suspect refuses to acknowledge P.I.N.S. He's an ex tenant of mine with a record and currently on a suspended assault charge. The police are being played by him and I have to keep pestering the police for any update.
What can I do to speed up the process as he is now upping the ante by harrassing me on a daily basis?
Thank you.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Speed up what process in particular?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

The police are not keeping me informed and are dragging their heels.

What can I ask the police to do about the daily harrassment from PPI/National Accident companies, whereby somone has given my name and mobile number?

I sell items on Gumtree but do not advertise my name, email or mobile against the ad, however, I am receiving interest from people who then turn out to be bogus after arranging a day+time to collect, but have obtained my addr+number.

I may not be explaining myself clearly but I'm now frustrated with the police and daily harrassment.

No, I understand. Your point being that another person is giving out your name to third parties so that they contact you therefore amounting to indirect harassment.
I'm afraid its fairly bad news though.
The practical reality is that the police are very unlikely to devote the resources to investigating this to the level that it needs. They would have to take statements from every third party in contact with you and those persons would have to say that they were given your details by X person which they will not do as he will have pretended to be you or got somebody else to do it.
Its like withheld numbers. The police can investigate that type of thing but for a S2 harassment they will not usually.
Sadly they are too busy devoting resources to stupid domestic squabbles to deal with any real crime in the UK.
If he is contacting you directly then you can report that and the police will act.
Ultimately there isn't a way of making them work faster though I'm afraid. If you email officers then they should respond within 48 hours though whereas there are no guidelines with phone calls.
I'm very sorry but thats your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, can you explain the P.I.N.S system please?


I think you probably mean a harassment notice. Basically its a warning to stop making contact. The police throw them around like confettii because its easy for them.

its not a finding of guilt. Its just a warning to stop making contact.