How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10732
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Can I put a charge on a joint owned property, without the permission

This answer was rated:

Can I put a charge on a joint owned property, without the permission of my husband who left me seven years ago, I have no contact with him? I need to extend the property to accommodate my aging Mum, who is providing the funds for the extension and I need to secure her money.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am afraid that any private Mortgage or Charge can only be registered at the Land Registry unless both you and your husband were to enter into the Charge.

Did your Mother definitely require a Charge before agreeing to lend to you?

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Mum is going to pay for the extension to my house using her own money, as she is elderly and needs care. I want to find out if I can secure her money with either HM charge or other type of charge against the property, without my husbands signature or permission.

Hi Lynne,
Thanks for your reply.
If your Mother does wish security, I'm afraid she won't be able to get a Charge registered against your property.
The best you would be able to do is to prepare a Declaration Trust, setting out the details of the monies lent to you. This would be evidence of her "financial interest" in the property and coupled with you and your Mother keeping evidence of the loan/details of the work carried out, this would go a long way to prove to your estranged husband as and when the property is eventually sold or otherwise dealt with.
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you