How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tdlawyer Your Own Question
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
Type Your Law Question Here...
tdlawyer is online now

i want to write to the judge instead of complaining about his

This answer was rated:

i want to write to the judge instead of complaining about his comments and i would also like to put some points for him to consider. i am not party to the proceedings i am the grandmother of the child involved. if i cannot write to the judge can i make a statement. this is the third hearing and i do have some important points to make. My daughter is dyslexic and cannot affort legal representation so i want to help.
tdlawyer :

Hi thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

You can write to the Court, and they will put your letter on the file, which the Judge will read at or before the next hearing.

tdlawyer :

It's unlikely that your letter would be referred to a Judge to address prior to that time as you're not a party to the proceedings. If your daughter wishes you to help her, then you can do that by turning up with her at the next hearing and either asking the judge for permission to speak, or if that is declined, you can exercise what are called "McKenzie" rights.

tdlawyer :

This is where you sit in the court and tell your daughter was to say, and/or pass her notes, which she then acts on. You can do this. In practice, a lot of judges do just let you speak, even though you're not a lawyer, because it's quicker, although there has been something of a clampdown recently in this respect with people insisting the person that bought the proceedings do the talking. However, you ALWAYS have the right to sit with her and help her with what to say etc.

tdlawyer, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1096
Experience: 11 years experience of general practice.
tdlawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Just to add to the above - I am afraid that the Judge will not look at your letter at all - as my colleague says you are not a party to the proceedings - not will you be.
If necessary the Court can direct that you file a Statement if you have evidence to give that is relevant to the matter
You will need to ask for the right to go in with her (as opposed to demanding) - but it should not be refused - but if you send the letter that could be a reason for a refusal