How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been invoiced for the costs of my ex wife in our divorce

Customer Question

I have been invoiced for the costs of my ex wife in our divorce after 8 years. I have never been aware of this. The old solicitors that acted for her have been taken over and they are now billing me for her costs. The divorce was 2006. I have never been made aware of this before now. Am I liable after all this time?

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare a
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Did the court actually order you to pay the costs - how much are they asking for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was never made aware of whether the court ordered me to pay the costs but it appears that they asked for this. I had no knowledge until today. It is £1309 which they want. They have never invoiced me before and the new company have traced me through DWP. My ex wife has always known where I live and for 2 years after the divorce I was living at the same address which the solicitors had. Can they do this after 8 years if costs were agreed at court?

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Technically IF the court did order you to pay the divorce costs then they would still be payable BUT in fact they can only take action against you if your ex instructs them.
This is because although YOU were ordered to pay the costs (maybe) the solicitors contract is with your ex - so they bill her and she tells them to chase you (if you understand me)
The starting point is to find out if an Order for Costs was made - a telephone call to the court will clarify that.
The second is to look at the Bill - unless it is addressed to "your ex payable by you" then you can simply return it pointing out that it is not correctly prepared.
Since IF the Order was made it would be for "costs to be assessed if not agreed" OR for an amount set by the court - so ask for a copy of the assessment (since you clearly have not agreed it)
Finally if your ex had legal aid for the divorce then they are even more limited as to what they can claim - so worth checking that as well
Please ask if you need further details