How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

My employer is stopping money each month for so called errors

This answer was rated:

My employer is stopping money each month for so called errors with consultation or my agreement. Is this legal?
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : On what basis is this being done? Have you been given anything in writing e.g breakdown of the figures?

No Breakdown. I have worked for the company for six years. This started without notice Dec 2012. It is classed as designer error. Commission reductions. They also reduced the amount of commission significantly.


Nothing in writing.

Alex Hughes : Is there anything in your contract about this?

Contract says they can take monies for misdemeanors.


I assume you are stepping back in???


My point is the local manager is judge jury and executioner without trial....

Alex Hughes : Deductions cannot be made from your pay unless it's agreed in writing, by law e.g. Tax and NI or a court order e.g. Attachment of earnings. Deductions which do not fall into these categories are unlawful and will have to be refunded to you. If not you will have a claim against your employer for unpaid wages.

Exactly as I thought. Please confirm that this also applies to reduction in previously agreed and structured commission payments?

Alex Hughes : Even though they may class this as payments for 'errors' or 'misdemeanours' - the deductions cannot be made unilaterally. There has to be some information given and an opportunity to say whether you agree or disagree with the calculations.
Alex Hughes : Correct.

Thank you. Perfect answer. You are a star. I will be in touch again if thats ok?

Alex Hughes : My pleasure. If you have any future questions for me please make sure you mark them for my attention. Thanks. Alex Hughes.

I dont suppose you could email this to me?

Alex Hughes : There's no facility to do so!
Alice H and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not letting me provide excellent rating??
There maybe a bug in the system! But any positive rating will be great!
Alice H and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Many thanks.
Many thanks for the bonus! If you need to discuss further then please use this thread. Have a great night. Alex

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes