How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

my husband died last week do i need to complete an inheritance

This answer was rated:

my husband died last week do i need to complete an inheritance tax form even though we had mirror wills and everything is left to the surviving spouse and is below the threshold.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

If your husband left an Estate over £5,000 it will normally be necessary for you, as Executor, to obtain Probate, as the Banks etc will not release any monies to you until they have seen the Probate.

When applying for Probate, you will also need to complete Form IHT 205, which sets out the assets your husband had and any liabilities.

If all of your assets were in joint names, no application for Probate will be necessary.

A local Probate Solicitor will be able to assist you with the above. If you wish to apply for Probate without using a Solicitor, you can do so, by contacting yur local Probate Registry, who will send you the necessary forms.

I hope this helps but please let me knowe if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you